a man of many talents
With a true gift for story-telling and a love of history and research, John brings together all of these elements in his writing, whisky & wine tasting sessions or entertainment events.
John is an accomplished author, storyteller and guide to the mysteries of secret Scotland. He is renowned for his knowledge of Scottish folklore, myths, legends, factual history and wildlife. He is a member of The Scottish Storytelling Centre and gave a Master Class in storytelling for the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park.
TELEVISION & RADIO
Great British Railway Journeys
The episode was shown by BBC 2 on the 1st of February, 2011.
In 2010, John worked as an advisor on Michael Portillo’s documentary series ‘Great British Railway Journeys’. He was involved, on episode 22 of the second series (“Dumbarton to Tyndrum”), for his intimate knowledge of the Loch Lomond section of the West Highland Line.
As well as being a talented author, John also makes occasional radio and television appearances. Most notably:
- – BBC 1: ‘Up Country’ and ‘Landward’.
- – BBC 2: ‘Tracks (Walking the West Highland Way)’.
- – STV: ‘Weather Forecasts’ with Ros Taylor.
- – Channel 4: ‘Shepherd at Christmas’ with Lorraine Kelly.
Let us not, of course, forget his skills as a shepherd. John’s many activities in this area include:
- – Competitor and winner at sheepdog trials.
- – Designing a course in Sheepdog Handling and Management for the Scottish Qualifications Authority.
- – Giving sheepdog demonstrations throughout the UK, including the Glasgow and Stoke-on-Trent Garden Festivals.
- – Judging sheep throughout Europe since 2005, including the Royal Highland Show.
The Stirling Story
John was involved in the making of ‘The Stirling Story’ – A CD-ROM produced by Stirling Council to mark the new Millennium.
In John’s own words, he “…was the token shepherd archiving the three most important things, dog, cromach (crook) and boots!”